Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mini ME in UAE

Hi, I'm Roxie and I just created my first blog. (Duhh, tell me something I don't know. She just started and she's already boring me!!) that's what most of you guys think. Well, I second the motion, at least the first part of it *wink* I don't want to antagonize my readers now, do I? Besides, I'm here and you're there, sitting alone and prolly bored and you happen to stumble upon my page and started reading. Poor sucker :-P

Before we go full throttle on the insult front, lemme start with an introduction of myself, upon which I humbly bow down my head and say, Asalam, ahlan wa sahlan! :-) I'm Roxie and I'm an expatriate living here in the UAE since 1996. Yep, that's right, I've seen this country grow to the remarkable place it has become today. Tall glass buildings and skycrapers dominate theAbu dhabi,Dubai and Sharjah skyline today. I think it's safe to say that this place holds every superlative found in the world records in the field of construction. The world's tallest building? Burj Khalifa. The world's most expensive hotel? Burj Al Arab. And of course The Palm Islands decorating the seas of Jumeirah, Jebel Ali and Deira are worth mentioning here too. And if that isn't enough to blow you away, then wait until the end of 2010 when the first Ferrari World theme park, a first of its kind in the world, is completed in Yas Island.

Now if you had seen this country back in the '90's, these gigantic feats of architectural and engineering marvels were nowhere to be seen. In fact, you'd never had thought that the concept alone of building these structures in a country largely occupied by desert land was even remotely possible. Now thanks to massive wealth combined with ambitious planning and daring visions, anything is possible here. And I mean it literally ;-)

Now let's get back to my favorite topic: ME :-) Like I said, I grew up here and I have seen how people from totally different cultural backgrounds interact and thrive alongside each other. I had classmates and schoolmates from all continents save Arctic and Antarctica, of course. I guess it's safe to say that the schools I attended were mini branches of United Nations. Admittedly, I wasn't as well informed as I always thought I was because I had friends from countries I had never heard of before meeting them. Belarus and Moldova are just a few of the examples. Belarus...say what?!! Who names a country that sounds like a walrus? Anyway, that's just me. If you're gonna be a follower of my blog, I gotta warn you early on that I am given to outbursts that clearly tell my ignorance about certain issues. Best option for you? Ignore it. I usually return to my sane and rational self after a few minutes of deep breaths. As you've prolly figured out by now, I'm not perfect and I speak bluntly sometimes. But that's the best part of being a blogger. I get to be just me and judgement be damned.


Happy to meet u, I truly am!